Sunday, June 6, 2010

Things Best Remembered and Not Forgotten

I've been doing some thinking - between projects and responsibilites - about things worthy of remembering. Some of this was encouraged by people I've known personally who have rejected the Christian faith they were raised with and once attempted to embrace. Some of this has also been forged out of pausing to remember the fallen valiant on Memorial Day. What of those we have known and loved whose marriages have failed? What of those who are no longer with me on this side of eternity? And so I muse.....

~ Shouldn't Memorial Day be more celebrated than July the 4th? If it were not for those who gave the ultimate sacrfice, there would be no Independence Day. Shouldn't I actively and intentionally observe these holidays, teach our children what they represent, and model respect and admiration for those who have fought for my freedom and theirs?

~ Shouldn't I study and pursue a deeper, purer understanding of the Christian faith in order to prepare for times of doubt and difficulty (which will certainly come) and therefore be better equipped to gently challenge those who denounce it?

~ Shouldn't I continue to actively remember the vows which I made to the man of both my dreams and my choice? Shouldn't I continue to work at modelling for our captive audience of two what marriage ought to look like?

~ Shouldn't I continue to preach the glorious gospel of redemption and the biblical hope (confident expectation) of Heaven to myself and our children?

~ Shouldn't I pursue remembering those things which the Lord calls me to remember?

Lest I forget, Lord; draw me to remembrance. I desire to hear and obey.

"I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds."
~ Psalm 77:11-12


Amen.

No comments: