Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday Thoughts

Thank you all for the sweet comments you wrote in my 'guest book!' I was thrilled to see that someone took the time to read through my posts. The time passes so quickly and I find that two weeks have passed since my last post. May I tell you what's been going on over at our house?

We're thinking a LOT about remodeling and home improvement projects over here - for many reasons. My dear hubby has been periodically on the look out for a used pool. His family had a pool and he thoroughly enjoyed it. So, about two weeks ago he found a used pool in our area and has relocated it to our two-car garage which has promptly become a one-car garage. ('My' car enjoys the right bay while 'his' (older) car enjoys the street light directly in front of our house every night.) This is not one of the inflatable kind that can be moved relatively easily. Oh no. This is a 27 footer which will basically engulf our entire backyard...or very nearly. I think mowing and trimming our current yard can take less than one hour. To say that it's small would be an understatement. (What's the opposite of hyperbole, Richella?) I'll have to post a picture of what this space looks like en route to our pseduo private 'beach.' After we bought said pool I began thinking about other people noticing this pool. I think this will be only the second or third permanent pool in our two-block section. And we live on an alley. Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania, I didn't fully appreciate what life with an alley entailed until moving here. One of the most interesting things to adjust to was people driving through the alleys to basically go dumpster or curb shopping. I can't remember all of the things that have been scavenged from our concrete trash slab. A few weeks ago my dear hubby took the two 'Things' to the fair grounds with a new kite and returned with a broken kite which ended up in the dumpster. A sweet neighbor said she saw someone fish it out and dig around for some other kind of treasure the same day or perhaps the day after. Funny. But, the most scary thing is that sometimes people (who don't even have homes off our alley) use it as a street! We have a glorious new light at our nearest corner and some people are predisposed not to wait the 1.5 minutes - perhaps - for the light to change. We're talking population 19,000 or so. Not a long light. I digress again. Anyway, the thought that total strangers and potential trash shoppers might see our beautiful, new-ish pool is very unpleasant and rather unnerving. I don't like the idea of people seeing us all in our swimsuits either....or me and Thing 2 especially. So, enter contemplation and pricing of privacy fencing. Oh yes - surveying the property, talking with neighbors, and lots of playing in the dirt first.

We've also been contemplating finishing the projects we have already begun as well as doing some painting and finishing of our poor master bedroom. This poor space has been generally overlooked since our initial purchase 13 years ago. We do finally have nice window dressings and new bedding, but we need to paint, get a new bed, finish some trim, and make our single closet look more like a grown-up closet rather than the doorless open mouth that it is. I may show pictures when we're done...maybe. Sigh.

Also, my dear Mom purchased a home near us last year and will be moving in this fall, Lord willing. But, we have a LOT of work to do over there too. I won't even list those projects because it would sound - and seem - too incredible to accomplish...let alone the sorting and selling of the other home. Large sigh. Both of our Dads are with the Lord so we try to give some extra care to both of our Moms though we need to do more.

Hmmmm. I wonder what will actually get accomplished this summer and early fall? Perhaps I will enumerate a list.

So.....what have your Thursday thoughts been about?

1 comment:

Richella Parham said...

Hi Kristi! How exciting--a pool!! Won't you all love that! But you're wise to look into privacy fencing. In fact, there may be some laws in your area about the type of fence that must surround a pool. Our laws don't require a privacy fence, but they do require a fence of a certain height that can be locked. But a privacy fence would be so much nicer--you can create your own backyard oasis!

Please, please post some photos! I love to take a glimpse into other people's homes. If there's something in particular you need advice about, you should participate in the "Decorating Dilemmas" party at Amanda's blog (Serenity Now). It's next Wednesday, 5/26. But here's a secret for you: she'll put the post up about 10:00 (9:00 central) on Tuesday night, and you'd do well to be one of the first people to link your post--that'll bring you much more blog traffic. People are great to read these posts and offer great suggestions. Visit Amanda and take a look at her last Decorating Dilemmas party if you haven't already--you'll be motivated to join this upcoming one, I think!

Every blessing to you, sweet friend!